* Updated March 2008*
ASSISTANCE TO ATTEND WORKSHOPS
The Assistance to Attend Workshops Instructions and forms in PDF format.
ASSISTANCE FOR PEOPLE WITH DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES AND THEIR FAMILIES FOR TRAVEL
The South Dakota Council on Developmental Disabilities has funds available to assist people with developmental disabilities and/or their family members to attend in-state conferences, training events, committees, and other similar activities OR to attend out-of-state conferences or training events when there is nothing similar held in South Dakota.
These funds are provided in an effort to empower people with developmental disabilities and their family members with the opportunities, experiences, resources and information they need to participate meaningfully in the decisions that are being made which affect their lives or the lives of their family members with developmental disabilities.
Who can apply for assistance?
What can the assistance be used for?
- People with developmental disabilities who are residents of South Dakota.
- Parents, family members or guardians of people with developmental disabilities who are residents of South Dakota. (The term family is used to refer to children and their parent(s) or family member(s) who are primary caregivers.)
How much assistance is available?
- Registration fees
- Transportation (mileage, air fare, parking fees, taxis, etc.)
- Personal assistance services
- Child care or respite care
- Other (at the discretion of the reviewer(s))
Priorities for receipt of funding:
- $300 per year per person for in-state events
- $750 per year per person for out-of-state events
- The Council can only partially fund the cost of attending an event. The person applying for assistance must secure funding from other sources, such as other state agencies, private foundations, consumer or advocacy organizations, an employer, or use their own money (a minimum of 25% match is required).
- For out-of-state events, the person must provide documentation that they have contacted other sources for assistance with costs.
- At the discretion of the Council's reviewer(s) a request to waive the requirement that partial funds be obtained from other sources may be honored. This waiver will be done on a case-by-case basis.
How do you apply?
- First time users of the fund
- First time attendees at a particular activity or event
- Attendance will enhance ethnic or cultural sensitivity
- Applicants from rural or other underserved or unserved areas
- First come, first served
After you attend, then what?
- Complete the application form and mail with an agenda to the Council Office.
- Applications should be submitted as early as possible and no later than 30 days prior to an event for in-state requests and 60 days prior for an out-of-state event.
- Application materials are available in alternate formats by request.
- Limited funds are available. All applications may not be funded.
- Applicants will be notified if their application was approved and the amount of the assistance to be provided by the Council.
- Please call the Council Office at 1-800-265-9684 or (605) 773-6369 for assistance in completing the application.
- Applications should be submitted to the SD Council on Developmental Disabilities, Hillsview Plaza, E. Hwy 34, c/o 500 E. Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501.
- Reimbursement for expenses is made after attendance at the event. Forms will be provided with the approval letter. In some cases, the Council will work with the event organizers to arrange direct payment of registration fees or other costs.
- Applicants will be asked how they have shared information received from attendance at the event with others. Examples of ways to share the information are: 1) presentation to local community service organization, disability organization, service provider, school or at a conference; 2) share handouts with school personnel or other service providers as appropriate; 3) write an article for a newspaper (please provide a copy to the Council Office), or 4)something else.
Review Federal Definition of Developmental Disabilities.INSTRUCTIONS
SD Council on Developmental Disabilities
Hillsview Plaza, E. Hwy 34
c/o 500 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Applicants will be contacted concerning any questions about the request. If approved, applicants will be notified of the amount and information will be sent on reimbursement of expenses.