long term services and supports (LTSS) home page
LTSS Services
Adult Protective Services
ADRC Resource Directory
Frequently Asked Questions
Links and Resources
Home & Community-Based Services Waiver Program
Ombudsman Program
Senior Meals
Senior Health Information & Insurance Education (SHIINE)
Older Americans Act
Advisory Council on Aging
Referral Form

long term services and supports

frequently asked questions


Q. Where can my elderly relative get help to clean their house or apartment?

A. Homemaker Services makes it possible for older persons to live in their own homes or to return to their homes by providing assistance in completing tasks they are unable to manage alone. Contact an ADRC Call Center near you to learn more about available long-term services and supports


Q. My sister cares for my elderly father; are there any services she can get?

A. Today, caregivers and the individuals they care for face complicated choices and decisions about long-term care. Caregiver Services are key supports that assist caregivers to care for their loved ones at home for as long as possible.

Services available through the South Dakota Caregiver Program include:


Q. What services does the State of South Dakota have to help the elderly?

A. The Division of Adult Services and Aging provides in-home and community-based services to individuals 60 years of age and older. Contact an ADRC Call Center near you to learn more about available long-term services and supports.


Q. Where do I find services for my brother who has a physical disability?

A. The Division of Adult Services and Aging has a variety of services for individuals 60 years of age and older and for individuals 18 years of age and older with disabilities. Contact an ADRC Call Center near you to learn more about available long-term services and supports.


Q. My grandparents need help to be able to continue living in their home. What is available?

A. Please review the following services which may be appropriate to meet the needs of your grandparents.

Contact an ADRC Call Center near you to learn more about available long-term services and supports.


Q. I believe my relative in the nursing home is being abused. How do I report this?

A. The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program is mandated by the U.S. Administration on Aging to advocate for and protect the rights of residents of nursing and assisted living facilities. Adult Services and Aging Specialists serve as advocates for facility residents and investigate and work towards the resolution of their complaints.

The program also provides information and referral assistance, conducts educational activities to increase community awareness of elder rights and provides training to long-term care and residential care workers. All reports and inquiries are confidential.


Q. How do I make a complaint about a nursing home or assisted living center?

A. Visit the Department of Health's website or call 1.800.738.2301.


Q. I’m age 47 and disabled and cannot afford my medications.  Is there any financial help for me?

A. Prescription Assistance helps people gain access to drug company assistance programs which supply prescription medications at low or no cost. In addition, a pharmacist may contact you to discuss your options. Application Assistance does not:


Q. Are there services available to help me with my disabled adult child?

A. Caregiver Services includes respite care which provides temporary relief to the primary caregiver from the continuous support and care of an elderly or dependent adult.


Q. Do you have any nutritional programs that provide food for the elderly?

A. There are 20 nonprofit Senior Meals providers in South Dakota. These providers are either Title III-C or Title VI (Older Americans Act direct funding to the tribes). Nutrition programs are sponsored by either a nonprofit organization or a tribal or local government agency. Communities desiring a nutrition program may be a satellite of an existing organization.

Senior Meals are an affordable way to help maintain your health. The cost of only one day in the hospital is equivalent to the cost of eating at Senior Meals for one year.


Q. What is the process in obtaining Guardianship of a loved one and who can become a Guardian?

A. Contact a local attorney to inquire about the legal requirements to establish a Guardian. South Dakota statute SDCL 29A-5-302 is the legal authority. A family member or friend may petition to become a person's Guardian.


Q. Does Medicare pay for Home Health Services?

A. Under certain circumstances, the Skilled Medicare Home Health benefit may cover needed skilled services after an acute episode.

Contact the nearest Home Health Agency in your area to find out if you meet the criteria for the Skilled Medicare Home Health services. Visit to learn more.