long term services and supports
Increasing Your Steps While At Home
With a little creative thinking, you can find easy ways to add steps at home. The following tips are provided to help you gain steps while you are at home.
- Take several short 10 minute walks during the day.
- Take the long way when walking to a store in the mall.
- Walk your dog or walk your neighbor's dog.
- Park further away in the parking lot.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk to grocery stores, video stores or bookstores within a one-mile radius of your home.
- Put on music and dance while cleaning your home.
- Try to take half of your goal steps by noon.
- Walk to your neighbors/friends instead of calling.
- Plan walks into your day with a friend at the beginning of the day and with your family at the end of the day.
- Start a walking club with your neighbors/friends.
- March in place while talking on the phone.
- Walk while talking on a cordless phone.
- Walk during the commercials on television.
- Walk the terminals at the airport while waiting for your plane.
- Avoid the people movers at the airport.
- Plan active weekends (long walks, hiking, go to the park).
- Unload your shopping bags from the car in four trips instead of juggling four bags in two arms and avoid back injury.
- Take a walk and pick up litter in your neighborhood.
- Walk about your house once a day to make one tiny home improvement.
- Walk up and down stairs with no purpose in mind.
- Quit using the remote control to change TV channels.
- Never sit for more than 20 minutes straight.
- Return your supermarket shopping cart to its proper storage location.
- Think footsteps -- anytime, anywhere.