The mission of the Division of Developmental Disabilities is to ensure that people with developmental disabilities have equal opportunities and receive the services and supports they need to live and work in South Dakota communities.
Our principles are:
- We will support people to participate in the life of their community.
- We will honor the importance of relationships with family and friends.
- We will ensure that quality services are available and accessible.
- We will work with providers to enhance services while respecting the dignity of risk and the importance of health and safety.
- We will respect and value cultural diversity.
- We will be good stewards of public funds.
The South Dakota Department of Social Services, in conjunction with the Department of Human Services, has proposed a renewal of the CHOICES Medicaid 1915 (c) waiver, which is operated by the Division of Developmental Disabilities in the South Dakota Department of Human Services. The proposed CHOICES waiver renewal is available on the Department of Human Services website: https://dhs.sd.gov/developmentaldisabilities/default.aspx
The proposed changes in the waiver are:
- Revised the reimbursement methodology in appendix I to align with the fee-for-service methodology outlined in the 2021 rate study;
- Revised service definitions for the following services: Residential Habilitation, Day Services, Career Exploration, Individual Support Employment to align with the fee-for-service methodology outlined in the 2021 rate study;
- Nursing and Other Medically Related Services- Speech, Hearing & Language were removed as standalone services to align with the fee-for-service methodology outlined in the 2021 rate study;
- Added the following services: Assistive Technology, Group Supported Employment, Group Supported Employment- Enclave, Shared Living Residential Habilitation;
- Clarified the DHS/DDD response to allegations of ANE;
- Revised the waiver projections for the 5-year cycle of this waiver;
- Updated the ICAP and LOC assessment process; and
- Adjusted certain Performance Measures as suggested by CMS during the Evidence Report process.
The proposed CHOICES waiver renewal will be open for public comment for 30-days from January 9, 2023 to February 8, 2023. Comments may be made by e-mail to email@example.com , by phone at 605-773-3438, or by mail using the address below.
Copies of the proposed CHOICES waiver renewal are available at the Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities. Written requests for a copy of the proposed waiver, and corresponding comments, may be sent to:
A town hall conference call will be held January 19, 2023 from 11:00am-12:00pm CST. Individuals wishing to participate should use the following call-in information: Dial In: 1-605-679-7263 and enter Conference Code: 962 780 018
Front Door to Supports