ELECTRONIC VISIT VERIFICATION (EVV)
Section 12006(a) of the 21st Century Cures Act requires states to implement electronic visit verification (EVV) for all Medicaid personal care services that require an in-home visit by a provider beginning January 1, 2020. This applies to personal care provided within the HOPE waiver program and other Medicaid personal care services authorized by the Division of Long Term Services and Supports (LTSS). Additionally, LTSS will require EVV for all in-home services authorized by LTSS. LTSS is working with the case management system vendor, Therap, to develop EVV capabilities and procedures.
What is Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)?
Electronic visit verification is a process that requires providers to verify that scheduled visits for in home services occurred. Data is collected electronically during visits including:
- the type of service provided
- the name of the individual receiving the service(s)
- the date of service
- the location of the service provided and information about the individual providing the service
- the time the service begins and ends
Who will be affected by EVV?
- Participants receiving in home services authorized by the Division of Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS)
- Agencies that provide in home services
What will be different?
- The type of care and services received will NOT change
- The caregivers providing services will be on the phone or other mobile device at the beginning and end of each visit to document the EVV requirements
- Participants are NOT required to have a phone or internet to receive services
- Participants receiving services may be asked to sign on a mobile device to verify the services were received
- Caregivers providing care may ask participants to use their home phone to document the visit
- There will be no long-distance calls made or long-distance charges incurred by participants
What if have questions regarding EVV?
- Contact the Division of Long Terms Services and Supports
- Phone: 605-773-3656
- E-mail: HCBS@state.sd.us
Other EVV resources
- Please see below for a list of EVV resources to assist states in complying with CURES Act requirements: