Funding is limited to up to $1500 for legal costs; any amount over $1500 must be provided through another source. Funding for this program is limited and granted on first come, first served basis. Funding is also dependent on an annual appropriation by the legislature.
This Establishment Program assists adults and their families or friends to pay legal costs up to $1500 associated with establishing a guardianship and/or conservatorship appointment.
Minimum Criteria for Application
The individual MUST:
- Be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Be a resident of South Dakota.
- Be receiving a first time appointment of a guardian and/or conservator.
- Submit a completed DD or LTSS application.
- Submit a copy of the most current psychological or psycho-educational evaluation.
- Submit a copy of the ICAP summary if one has been completed.
- Submit the application no more than three months prior to the individual's 18th birthday.
The application must be received by the Department of Human Services prior to the hearing for appointment of guardianship or conservatorship to be considered.
Download Adobe Reader