long term services and supports
Adding Steps to Your Work Day
With a little creative thinking, you can find easy ways to add steps to your work day. The following tips are provided to help you gain steps while you are at work.
- Get off the bus sooner and walk the distance to work.
- Take several short 10 minute walks during the day.
- Walk to a restroom, soda machine or copy machine on a different floor.
- Host “walking meetings� -- skip room scheduling (which can sometimes be difficult) and walk and talk instead.
- Take the long way when walking to meetings.
- Park farther away in the parking lot.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk a few laps on your floor during breaks.
- Try to take half of your goal steps by noon.
- Walk to your co-workers office/cubicle instead of calling or emailing.
- Plan walks into your day with a friend before work or with your family after work.
- Start a walking club with your co-workers.
- March in place while talking on the phone.