TRANSITION RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
The Division of Rehabilitation Services works with South Dakota School Districts and other organizations within the state to help students with disabilities plan for their future. A variety of services are available to help match your skills, abilities, and interests with a compatible career path.
Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS) are available to students with disabilities who need help with employment and/or attending post-secondary education. Every public school in South Dakota has a Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) counselor assigned to assist with the transition from high school into the adult world. You can find the counselor that covers your school by clicking on the following links:
To ask how to apply for VR services to participate in the following services.
- Job Exploration Counseling
- Workplace Readiness Training to Develop Social Skills and Independent Living
- Work-Based Learning Experiences
- Counseling on Comprehensive Transition or Post-Secondary Educational Programs
- Instruction in Self-Advocacy
*must be eligible for VR services to utilize
**must have approval from your school district and eligible for VR services to participate
Please feel free to contact our statewide transition specialist with any questions at:
Phone: (605) 367-4657
TSLP is funded by SD Special Education Programs Office and the Division of Rehabilitation Services. Staff provide training and resources to students, families, schools, VR counselors, and adult service agencies on transition services. On their website, you can find a wealth of resources available for transition planning including additional information about Project Skills, Youth Leadership Forum, and post-secondary schooling supports.
This booklet can help you find resources that are available online to help with transition planning.
The below newsletters have been developed by VR staff to help students with disabilities become aware of services, supports, and resources available in South Dakota. Feel free to take a look and if you have additional questions, you can reach out to the VR counselor that covers your school district or contact DRS Transition Specialist, Katie Gran.
- December 2020 - YLF
- January 2021 - Setting Goals
- February 2021 - Budgeting
- March 2021 - Transportation
- April 2021 - Self-Advocacy
- May 2021 - Internet Safety and Assistive Technology
- June 2021 - Soft Skills
- July 2021 - Living on Your Own
- August 2021 - Building Your Resume
- September 2021 - Person Centered Tools
- October 2021 - Soft Skills Postsecondary
- November 2021 - Gratitude
- December 2021 - Financial Aid